On the 22nd May, along with the Alzheimers society, The All Wales Forum of Parents and Carers are running a workshop about Dementia and Learning Disabilities.
The All Wales Forum and Alzheimer’s Society have for a few years wanted to raise the profile of people living with dual diagnosis of learning disability and dementia across Wales. This is a growing area of concern, as many people are living longer and most individuals are still living with their families at home or in supported living models within the local community. Despite this, there is little community education or awareness on dementia across this client group. Many families are not aware of the signs to look out for, what community support mechanisms already exist, and what additional resources we may collectively need in order to support individuals and their families should they experience the condition.
We have raised a small amount of money to allow us to hold a free to attend workshop. The workshop will be aimed at individuals, families and support carers in Cardiff and the Vale where there is or possibility of learning disability and dementia.
The workshop will aim to inform families on
- Dementia and Learning Disabilities – what we know now.
- Symptoms checker – what can we look out for?
- What existing support is there for individuals?
- What can we do better to support individuals and their families
- We want to learn what information and support already exists and people’s awareness of this.
- We want to start to identify if and where there are potential gaps.
- We want to collate and make available useful information.
- We also want to develop a group, starting in South Wales, for families, carers and individuals with dual diagnosis.
Friday 22nd May, arrive at 10.15, starts 10.30 ends 2.30.
Sbectrwm, Bwlch Road, Fairwater, Cardiff CF5 3EF
To book, please contact the All Wales Forum Office on
029 20811120 or email firstname.lastname@example.org